Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Sleep Deprived

Norway has been a lot of fun already. I am very glad I came, although I'm already counting down the days until Adam arrives. Here is a brief rundown of what has gone on the past few days. May 15: Our flight from Minneapolis to Reykjavik took about 5 1/2 hours. I sat next to a cute couple named Gordy and Gloria who lead senior citizen tour groups around Norway. When we landed in Iceland we had to get off our plane and go through security at the Reykjavik airport. I thought the Fargo airport was small, but the one in Reykjavik was pretty tiny. Our flight from Iceland to Oslo took 2 1/2 hours and I slept on and off the whole way. May 16: By the time we landed in Olso, it was 5 a.m. our time and we had only slept a couple of hours on very crowded flights. Oslo is 7 hours ahead of our time so it was 12:20 in the afternoon when we arrived. We moved like little zombies through the airport and once we collected all of our luggage, we found Lars waiting for us. Lars is a Norwegian law student who came to UND last spring as part of the exchange program we have between the U of Oslo and UND. His job was to collect us at the airport and take us by train to our dorms. The poor guy had no idea what he was in for. Six females arrived on the flight he was in charge of and each of us had a tremendous amount of luggage. He had his hands full trying to get us all on and off the train with all of our luggage during the train's short stops. Once we got off the train we had to get 3 cabs to haul us all to our dorms, because there was no way we could carry all of our things and walk. Our dorms are numbered buildings that are all connected on the outside. It is student housing, although it is not owned by the University of Oslo, like our dorms would be. 

We were advised not to go to sleep, which of course is all we felt like doing. The idea is to stay awake all day to try to get on the correct sleep/wake schedule right away. Erica and I tried to unpack, but soon decided to take an hour nap, which turned into a 2 1/2 hour nap, but felt wonderful. At 7pm we met up with some fellow travelers and walked around a bit. The main goal was to learn how to get to the law school from our dorms because we needed to meet there at noon the following day for a lunch with Norwegian students. After walking around for a couple of hours we headed back to our rooms and finally to bed. I thought I would sleep straight through the night, but instead I woke almost hourly and whenever someone came through the hallway door outside of our room and allowed it to slam loudly shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment